Wednesday, August 26, 2009

2 months Post-Op

Tomorrow I am officially 9 weeks post-op!

So today I had my 2 month post-op appointment with my OS.

I was SO nervous as at my last appointment he didn't seem happy with my progress. Luckily, today was SO much better!

Went to PT this afternoon before the doctor and they did my evaluation.

My measurements were all done cold without warming up my knee:

Active flexion (laying on my stomach and bending on my own) is at 114 degrees
Passive flexion (laying on stomach and bending using my other leg to push) is at 120 degrees
Active flexion (laying on my back and pulling my heel toward my bottom) is at 125 degrees
Active extension (sitting on edge of bench and straightening my leg) is at -12
Passive extension (sitting on edge and using other leg to make my leg straight) is at about -4
Strength is still needed in the Quad of my op leg.

I really focused the last month to getting my extension back. It is a TON better than last doctor's appointment. The doctor even said my "extension is perfect!" Yea!

The doctor said I'm a bit behind on my flexion, but said it will come with time. He said I am only behind about 10-15 degrees and then I'll be back to my pre-op flexion.

Asked the doctor about the "catching" I feel in my knee cap - basically after I have my leg totally straight I feel like something right below my knee cap catches at about 80 degrees of flexion and hurts so I can't bend my knee farther. Once I straighten my leg again and bend it again most of the time the "catching" goes away. The doctor said that he thinks it is due to having a weaker quad muscle. He thinks that once my quad is stronger, it will pull the knee cap the right way and the problem will go away. I hope this is the case!

He said I don't need to wear my brace for day to day walking, but to wear it if I'm going to be in crowds like at work at Disneyland . I also will wear it when I begin being more active like jogging, jumping, pivoting (which is still a ways away)

I also got black and white photos from the surgery. It's weird to see the inside of my knee. Can't see a whole lot, but they are going to try to email me the color pictures so I can see more.

Still doing physical therapy 3 times a week for the next 4 weeks. I'll have my 3 month post-op appointment September 23rd.

I'm going back to work starting tomorrow, but seated work only. Still a LONG way before I'm dancing in the parades again, but at least it is one step closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment