Tuesday, September 29, 2009

13 Weeks Post Op...

Week 13 post op Update:

Wow, I can't believe it's been 13 weeks today since my surgery. I'd say "time flies when you're having fun," but fun isn't quite the word for it.

Progress with my knee is going very well. Had to fight hard with my company to continue physical therapy and was granted 2 times a week for 3 weeks. I would have settled for 1 time a week, but was happy with this outcome.

Had my evaluation with the physical therapists yesterday and my extension is at -3 so I'm SO close to straight. It's better than it was (can't remember what it was last time, but know it's better.) My flexion is at 120 passive (measured with me lying on my stomach and bending my knee) and 127 (still on my stomach) if they bend my knee for me. My PT said I'm back in the "normal" range, but still have a ways to go as they'd like to get me to about the lower/mid 130s since I'm a dancer and was pretty flexable.

Still doing a lot of the same exercises, but increasing the weights. Also, able to go up stairs normally without shaking. Coming down is still a bit challenging as my knee wants to catch or lock a times.

I'm SO excited because I'm able to walk without a limp most of the time. Most people say that they wouldn't even know that I had had surgery so that makes me very happy.

Had my 3 month post op visit with my OS - He is happy with my progress (finally ) and said I seem to be right on track. This next month he said I can begin with some very light jumping and some jogging in place. Very low impact type movements. After month 4 I'll be moving on to more jogging, running, etc. After month 5 I can begin rehearsing dance a bit more. Then After month 6 I should be back dancing. He said my graft feels very strong and he can tell my knee is getting stronger and stronger.

I'm excited for this weekend as my boyfriend (who lives out of state) is coming into town for a visit. My Dr gave me full clearance to ride on theme park rides and so we are going to Univeral Studios park tomorrow and Disneyland Saturday. So excited. Then I worked today and stood/walked the entire 6 hour shift. Worked out to be about 4 miles all together. I'm sore tonight and iced/used my e-stim machine, but was happy to be doing a job where I get to interact with the guests.

Can I express how much the thought of jumping/jogging freaks me out? I know it's like falling off of a horse and having to get back on, but I just don't want to ever have to go through this again. I trust my Dr and my physical therapists, but it is still scary.

Yea for new adventures though. Excited to get things going and continue to improve. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment